Wednesday, September 28, 2005

The Eternal Fight Between Good and Evil

... or between the authorities and the masses...

*sigh* Just read a very heated and emotional post by Xiaxue, as well as dam farnie one by mr brown.

So, what's my take on this?

I tend to agree with XX that there has been a breach of personal freedom... However, I reckon that under the traditional Asian psyche, the authorities do not know how to deal with criticism; especially criticism that is so public... So they fall back on what they know... punishment...

As a parent of 2 children, I put myself in the shoes of the authorities. Say my kids blog on the web about me being a terrible dad blah blah blah. So what would I do (I would have to do a bit of guesswork here; my kids are a 5 year old girl and a 7 month boy.. ) ?

I... WOULD... PUNISH... THEM... :P

Is it fair? Hell no. It is after all their own point of view.

But I guess it boils down to something deeper than that.. It's about respect... in a way, that kinda clashes with the younger generation... which is more about self expression, freedom of speech blah blah blah... kinda swinging the way of the hippie generation of old...

It's really a Catch 22 situation...

Is there a better way? I think there is. What is it? Don't know... If my kids were pissed off with me, I would much prefer that they came to me directly and talked to me about it, rather than bitch about it in some "public" forum.

Oh... and life's NOT FAIR ... or did someone change the rules?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counter
Web Counter